Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Golden-Crowned Sparrow, Zonotrichia Atricapilla


Day 210: Walking out to Rainey Creek, I nearly always spot some bird I haven't yet photographed successfully, and I wind up standing there trying to catch the elusive little buggers between branches in the hopes of identifying them when I get home. I've seen dozens of Chickadees here, scores of Warblers, and I've spent substantial amounts of time offering myself up as mosquito bait only to come away with nothing to show for my pains. It doesn't stop me from returning, not hardly! The walk to Rainey Creek is delightful if you go in the right season, but avoid June at all costs!

Today, a fluttering in the branches again caught my eye, and it turned out to be the activity of half a dozen Golden-Crowned Sparrows, a bird whose most distinguishing field characteristic eliminates the need to observe any other. The bright yellow crown which gives this species its common name sets it apart from any other bird in the region. However, young Golden-Crowned Sparrows can be mistaken for White-Crowned until the yellow feathers emerge.

While this image is not a classic field-guide pose showing the full body morphology, there is no mistaking Mr. Golden-Crowned's golden crown! Now, if I could just get those darn Warblers to hold still long enough to zoom in!

No comments:

Post a Comment