Monday, April 29, 2013

Periwinkle Check


Day 209: Periwinkle...or Vinca minor, if you prefer...sprouts in odd places in my yard, leftovers from years ago when I envisioned mounds of it galloping along at the base of my rail fence. As is so often the case with my gardening, the plants simply refused to establish where I wanted them, and proceeded to send out runners underground. I'll blame my lack of success on the soil here. What of it there is between rocks is acidic and nutrient-poor.

There are other oddments in between the hawkweed and moss in my loosely-termed "lawn." Wild strawberries bloom in great patches of white, never bearing a berry. Primroses in yellow and purple are scattered in the carpet of questionable "grass." The Periwinkle always surprises me with its bright blue eyes staring up out of a section twenty feet from where I installed it originally. "How'd that get there?" I wonder, since it was so reluctant to bloom where it was planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment