Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Frog Bridge


Day 224 (Part A): While on patrol for invasive weeds and litter at the Nisqually Land Trust property in Ohop Valley today, I had to work my way through waist-high grass to reach the water's edge where a beer case was lodged against the shoreline. In doing so, my heavy footfalls startled a number of bullfrogs. As I looked around for the source of the splashes, my eye was caught by the reeds floating on the water and mud-puppies resting on a rock just below the surface. It was only then that I noticed the graceful arc of the bridge where it was reflected and the inviting visual line created by old posts marching beneath the span. "That's worth a picture," I said to myself. I snapped a couple of quick shots and then remembered that I had the tripod in the car. "Oh, I can do an HDR of this!"

By the time I got back (the car was a quarter mile away), a few frogs had returned. Again, my descent to the water's edge was punctuated by enormous splashes. I set up the tripod and planted my feet in one spot, determined not to move until at least one frog made an appearance. After all, I was going to be there a while, but I knew I had to be perfectly still to have any chance of capturing one in the lens. I got sidetracked listening to Yellowthroats chanting, "Wickedoo-wickedoo-wickedoo, WEET!" and shifted my weight. Splash! A foot from my foot, a bullfrog dived into the water. I hadn't known he was there.

Eventually, I got a couple of frog photos as well as the requisite exposures for an HDR image (in this case, I used five). Stay tuned for Part B! That's where the frogs come in!

No comments:

Post a Comment