Monday, May 13, 2013

Red Dogwood


Day 223: A little over fifteen years ago, a friend of mine asked if she could plant a Dogwood tree on my property in celebration of the birth of her daughter. I said I'd be glad to host a Dogwood, but admittedly, I was thinking of the standard white variety. So was she, but when they went to the nursery to purchase it, there were no white ones. When they arrived on my doorstep with a "red" Dogwood, I winced. I knew "red" was just another word for "pink." I couldn't very well withdraw my offer of space, so we dug an enormous hole beside my driveway and installed the tree.

In past years, it's shown very little color other than a mahogany-red tinge to the early leaves. It would occasionally put forth a few or partial "blossoms" (the "flower" of a Dogwood is not the showy part, but that little tight cluster of dark buds in the center). In short, it was rather disappointing in its lack of pinkness. This year, however, it's simply a mass of color, and in spite of my aversion to pink, I find myself rejoicing in its splendid display.

No comments:

Post a Comment