Thursday, May 30, 2013

Nasties!



Day 240: "Nasties" as in "Nasturtiums," that is...Tropaeoleum majus. Gardens are so much happier for having Nasties like these in them, and it never occurs to me to plant them until it's too late. This year, I neglected to order flower seeds from Park in January as I usually do, so on a trip to Watson's Nursery, I browsed the seed racks for something quick and easy. Marigolds were a no-brainer, although I know I'll be kicking myself next year when I have to weed them out from where they've reseeded, and a few bedding plants will fill in the hollow spaces in my haphazard flower bed. The Nasties are destined for hanging baskets to go outside the kitchen door.

Just recently, I was discussing with a colleague what to look for when trying to differentiate one type of native Violet from another, specifically the presence or absence of a spur on the back of the flower. "What do you mean by 'a spur?'" she asked. I said, "Like on a Nasturtium. Don't tell me you never bit off the spur on a Nasturtium so you could suck the nectar out!" I couldn't believe what she responded. "No," she said, "and I had to Google to see what a Nasturtium is." The next afternoon, I took her on a quick lunchtime field trip to look at Violets. At some point this summer, I hope to be able to drop some Nasties on her desk. Sucking nectar out of Nasturtiums is an experience kids of all ages can enjoy, even those who managed to reach adulthood without trying it.

All parts of a Nasturtium are edible. The nectar is a bonus! The peppery leaves and/or blossoms can be used in salads, the blossoms can be stuffed with any type of meat, and may be battered and deep-fried for a finger-food treat. The spicy seeds have been called "poor man's capers," and can be pickled just like the fruit of Capparis spinosus, then chopped and added to homemade tartar sauce. Nasties are anything but nasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment