Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Calypso Project


Day 218: Those of you who regularly follow my posts will no doubt remember the Longmire Volunteer Campground's Calypso Orchids I worked so hard to protect last year. The only resources I had at that time were a roll of yellow caution tape and permission to cordon off the areas where these delicate plants were emerging. In addition to the physical protection, I spread the word among my co-workers, and found them very supportive of my efforts. Today, the issue of the Orchids again came up in conversation, and I went looking for a better way to protect them.

Bureaucracies being what they are, I contacted the sign shop to find out how to go about obtaining signage for the area. I expected to have to get approval for the project at the administrative level, but when I explained the situation, I was told that in this case, I could have signs without going through the departmental rigamarole, but that it might take some time to round up holders for them. I pleaded urgency, expecting the Orchids to emerge some time in the next two weeks. The sign shop said they'd see what they could do.

Satisfied, I turned back to my regular work, but in about fifteen minutes, there was a knock on the door. Eight signs on metal posts were delivered into my hands.

Just before we planned to leave for the day, Kevin and I took a walk around the campground loop. Just in case, I'd taken two signs with me. We found one Orchid in bloom in the primary spot, and scores more in the bud phase. Look closely just off the upper right corner of the sign to see this Orchid in its habitat. Hard to see, aren't they? Next week, I'll be installing the remainder of the signs. Gotta protect my babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment