Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pipsissewa Pursuit



Day 294: Chimaphila umbellata goes by two common names, Pipsissewa and prince's pine. The first is a Native American (Cree) word meaning "breaks into small pieces" (a reference to the fragile petals), but the second is a puzzlement. Who was the prince (lower case p, mind you), and what association did he make between this plant and pines? Although I've seen some speculation in various sources, I have never found believable etymological support for the peculiar nomenclature. Suffice to say that I call it Pipsissewa in daily reference, and hasten to explain that it is evergeen and to some degree mycoheterotrophic (i.e., it establishes a symbiotic relationship with specific fungi and is dependent upon them for survival).

As most of my readers will recall, I am particularly captivated by the mycoheterotrophs, and anyone who knows me even slightly can attest to my fascination with words; thus, the prince's pine has entered the ranks of my favorite forest flowers, its exquisitely beautiful waxy flowers a bonus to its other intrigues.

1 comment:

  1. Great shot!. Love to say the word Pipsissewa and this gave me a reason to say it again.

    ReplyDelete