Sunday, August 11, 2013

Jam Session



Day 313: I have my work cut out for me. I'll be juicin' tonight and jammin' tomorrow.

Himalayan Blackberries may be a nuisance plant in the Pacific Northwest, but no one wants to see them entirely eliminated because they make very tasty jams and jellies. I put the berries through a food press which substantially reduces the number of seeds in the final product, but not to the extent that you could refer to it as "jelly." That's just more work than it's worth, and when the jam is spread on a toasted slice of hearty homemade bread, the additional crackle of crunchy seeds is a textural bonus.

Okay, you lot. Listen up. Those of you who didn't return your empty jars won't get jam for Christmas this year. You know who you are! You've still got time to redeem yourselves if you want more of this delicious Pacific Northwest specialty.

No comments:

Post a Comment