Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sundews, Second Location



Day 359: Oh, I am so excited! I don't know how I missed them, especially since I've done several supposedly thorough surveys of the log where I found these today, but yes, I have discovered a second microecology where Sundews are flourishing (if not in the same number as on the primary log). These appear to be the same species superficially (Drosera rotundifolia), but the tentacles are much brighter red than those in the main location, making me wonder if the type of wood supporting the colony or some other environmental factor affects the coloration. These timbers appear to be old-growth cedar as opposed to Doug fir at the principle site. The two locations are approximately 150 feet apart, but the exposure is identical.

No comments:

Post a Comment