Saturday, October 19, 2013

I Think I'll Go As Princess Leia


 Day 17: I think it'd take a lot more makeup than I have in my costuming kit to turn me into Princess Leia. I've always loved getting dressed up, and Hallowe'en gives me a good excuse but for one small issue: I don't get trick-or-treaters here. That said, the occasional get-together or event finds me dragging out the garb. My fishing buddy's great-grandkids love having costumed adults as their chaperones.

Sometimes getting into the act has its drawbacks. On one notable occasion, I'd planned to attend a friend's party as a Vulcan noblewoman, pointy ears and all. Application of the ears was a time-consuming project, painting on latex to join the prosthetic seamlessly with my skin and then blending makeup (both liquid and powder) to match the tone. I'd started early in the morning and finished up around noon, planning to leave home at two o'clock to drive to Seattle. I forgot one thing: I'd put in a call to the county weed control board in regard to tansy ragwort growing on the highway verge. When the agent knocked on my door, I'd forgotten all about the ears. If he did a double-take, I failed to see it, and thus accompanied him out onto the highway to show him several specimens of the weed, oblivious to the sight I presented. A few cars slowed down, but I still didn't make the connection. It was only after the agent had completed his interview and I'd gone back to the house that I realized I was wearing them.

Back to the idea of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse, then...I could never pull off the Princess Leia look. To wear a costume with any degree of success, you have to believe in your role. As I look at this photo, I am thinking, "Morgan Corbye is never gonna make it as a zombie," but of course I can't go as a pirate 'cuz that's my day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment