Sunday, October 6, 2013

Redefining Species Migration



Day 4: First, let me beg my readers' indulgence for my fixation with Sundews. Discovering them in the wild has been the highlight of my career as a naturalist. Today, I had occasion to go to Yelm again to tidy up some other mildly annoying business, so to make the trip worthwhile, I threw the kayak on the car with intent to add some miles to my paddling total. A Sundew patrol was a given. I was not exactly taken unawares when I did not find Drosera Island (the old floating dock) where it had been only two days ago, but once again, a survey of the northwest arm of the lake failed to turn it up. Sure enough, it had floated another 0.12 miles south of its last location, putting a whole new slant on the term "species migration." This afternoon, however, winds came in from the south, strong enough that paddling against them in a draw, I was only gaining two or three inches per stroke. I will not be the least bit surprised if my next trip finds the colony back in its original location.

As a side note, I am pleased to report that since I bought the kayak in early August, I've logged 85 miles. Most of that total can be ascribed to my present passion, Drosera rotundifolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment