Monday, October 7, 2013

Yard 'Shrooms


 Day 5: It's the time of the year when my yard sprouts mushrooms by the hundred and over the years, I've never found any I knew for certain were edible. These, a species of Russula, are not, but they are abundant in my yard and always put me in mind of my mother whenever I see them.

When I was young, my mom taught me to recognize many savoury 'shrooms, mostly those classified as "beginner species," and the family often ate the provender from Nature's larder without questioning her mycological skills. However, her ability to identify mushrooms reliably came into question after I had reached adulthood and caught her fixing herself a meal of "blewits." The white stalks and blue caps told me immediately that they were Russulas and that she had made a potentially dangerous misidentification. After that, I never trusted her IDs again.

These days, I stick with chanterelles, a few particular boletes, shaggymanes and the occasional spring morel. For all of the mistake she made in mushrooming, my mother gave me one piece of advice which is unshakable in its accuracy: Better safe than sorry! And that goes double where 'shrooms are concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment