Saturday, December 7, 2013

Flying Fingers



Day 66: Busy, busy, busy! Making socks has renewed my interest in knitting, a hobby I'd laid aside for a number of years in favour of crochet, hardanger and counted cross-stitch. When you pursue any craft on a regular basis, it tends to go stale at some point, and I'd become bored with Fair Isle, Aran and four-needle projects, regardless of the challenges they presented. With my mind on other things, I forgot how much I truly enjoyed knitting; listening to the clack of the needles, feeling the yarn slide over my fingers, watching the garment grow beneath my hands. After making a couple of pair of lightweight socks using wool blended with rayon made from bamboo, I decided I needed some heavy-weight wool "hikers." Knitting continental style ("picking" with the yarn held by the left hand), the work goes very quickly. With my sock drawer full now, I'll be donating several pair to the Park's Christmas party silent auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment