Sunday, December 8, 2013

Birdie Berries


Day 67: English Holly is considered an invasive species in much or all of western Washington, so although I normally would not cut greens from a living tree to use as decoration, when a Holly made itself available to me at the roadside, I decided to take measures to reduce its spread, if only in a very small way. Assuredly, I would be a poor host to Pik-pik and his mom, wintering on my mantel, unless I provided some fruit for their diet. Pik-pik began begging immediately, little wings spread and his beak turned up to his mother as if to say, "Can't you thaw them out any faster?" Like any youngster, he loves his sweets, but we all know what happens when you eat too many berries. That's one way English Holly spreads, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment