Monday, January 27, 2014

A Tiger In My Tank


Day 117: Some of my readers may be old enough to remember the Exxon commercials and "Put a tiger in your tank," and some may even remember the joke which was spawned by the adverts:

Question: How do you put a tiger in your tank?

Answer: First you put his back paws in. Then you put his front paws in. Then you put his head in. And then you kick him in the gas hole.

Well, I discovered the tiger in my tank today. I'd gone out for a six-mile walk, but accidentally set the counter for a distance of three miles. I didn't notice until the male voice I'd chosen told me I'd gone halfway, but I said "What the heck, he'll tell me when I've gone three miles and then I'll just turn around. Not a problem." You can't reset a workout midstream on the Nano, but it keeps a record even if you exceed your goal. It does allow you to check your pace without pausing the workout, though, and when I checked at two miles, it told me I was pulling something just under a 14-minute mile. At the end of my intended six-mile workout, I'd maintained a pace of 14'49".

That was when I discovered the tiger in the tank. After the selected voice had given me the statistics, a new voice said, "Congratulations! This is Tiger Woods. You've just completed your fastest mile."

No comments:

Post a Comment