Sunday, January 26, 2014

Neighborhood Watch


Day 116: If you travel the Foothills Trail east from Orting, about two miles from town, you'll find a large grassy area rimmed by 2 x 4 fencing topped by three strands of barbed wire, and posts which bear warning signs varying from "Keep Out" to "Don't feed the animals" and "If I don't call the police, my neighbor will." Clearly, the property owner means business, but nine times out of ten, the open space seems empty of any life larger than a bug. However, if you're lucky, you'll discover what the signs protect...

No, I've said that all backwards. If you're lucky, you'll discover what protects the signs.

You see, this is an emu farm. I've never seen more than three emus in it at any one time. Most times, there's only one. Bicyclists and walkers often stop to take pictures of the enormous birds, but must be careful not to venture too close to the fence. Emus are not known for their sunny dispositions. This fellow was feeling decidedly territorial today, and chased me back from my position at the wires by running toward me with clear intention to attack. Even though I had retreated to the trail twenty feet away, he kept pacing the boundary, following me whether I moved left or right. With a little fancy dancin', I was able to shift him over to his job description. This is one "Neighborhood Watch" you don't want to mess with!

No comments:

Post a Comment