Thursday, March 27, 2014

Banished!


Day 176: Hie thee hence, device of torture! And stay there until next winter! Yep, I have achieved my final mileage goal in the winter physical fitness challenge, and the exercise bike has been sent into exile. When I got up this morning, I only needed the aerobic equivalent of 16.5 walking miles to bring my total to 1500, and between riding the bike for almost two hours and walking 7.5 miles, I'm done!

A few statistics here, because when you're as old as I am, this is something to brag up:

Starting on January 7 and ending today, I rode the exercise bike for 216 hours to earn the aerobic equivalent of walking 891.5 miles. However, the actual odometer reading was significantly greater: 3456 miles "travelled" at an average of 16 MPH. As for the walking portion, I put 602.5 miles on my feet, covering a variety of terrain from pavement to steep, muddy trail. The remaining six miles were accrued with sweat equity while digging holes and planting trees in rocky ground for three hours. Thus the breakdown is 891.5 plus 602.5 plus 6 for a total of 1500 aerobic equivalent miles.

Over the course of the challenge, I lost 12 pounds and am now as trim as I've been at any time in the last five years. My leg strength has increased and my endurance is up significantly. Overall, I feel much perkier and energetic. That's not to say there haven't been a few days when I really had to push myself to get out there, but any program like this is as much a test of resolve as it is of physical ability. Fortunately, I have always enjoyed walking and challenging myself on a physical level. Just like climbing a mountain, the only way you'll get there is by putting one foot in front of the other one, over and over and over.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Good for you. You're a trooper in every good way.

    ReplyDelete