Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Three Falls Tour


Day 175: I had a delightful walk in Pack Forest today, taking in all three cascades of the Little Mashel River. With the amount of rain we've had, the falls were in their prime, but the trails were less than optimal. The mud was deep in places, very clayey and slick, and the trail down the embankment seemed primed for a landslip due to the saturation of the ground.

The approved access which I used begins at the administrative compound on the west of the property, and follows the 1000 Rd. for about two miles before taking off on a secondary spur (the 1070) for approximately half a mile before reaching the trailhead proper. Pack Forest maintains the trail to the lower falls, and the upper and middle falls which lie outside Pack Forest's boundaries may be reached on unmaintained branch trails. There is much evidence of partying at each of the cascades, left by locals who come in via an illegal point of entry on the east side.

My hike was completed with only sprinkles of rain at the beginning and end of the trip, but precipitation returned soon after I'd reached my car. I think the Weather Gods were exceptionally kind today, my reward as the winter physical fitness challenge draws to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment