Thursday, March 20, 2014

Lucky Horseshoe


Day 169: 'Twas my good fortune to find a lucky horseshoe, but not so lucky for the hapless horse who had preceded me on the Upper Elk Spur trail by a day or so. Lost to the sucky mud, this shoe also appeared to have been improperly nailed, as witnessed by the spikes sticking out sideways. Poor Nellie or Ned had been headed uphill and must surely have been lame by the end of the adventure.

So what is it about horseshoes and luck? Some people say they should be hung above a doorway with the ends pointing upward so that luck will be captured in the curve. Others say the bend should go at the top so that luck will shower on anyone who passes beneath the shoe. I've never suffered any ill effects from having a points-up shoe above my front door, though neither can I say I've gained any boons. Like Ned/Nellie, I'm just happy if I can keep my shoes on my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment