Wednesday, March 19, 2014

It's All Der Pollen In De Air


Day 168: It's dat time of year again, da time when all der pollen in de air makes my eyes water and my nose run. Red Alder (Alnus rubrum) is the current culprit, soon to be followed by Douglas Fir, the primary tree species in the Pacific Northwest. It's a hell of a note for someone as outdoorsy as I am to be allergic to the woods but fortunately, my allergies aren't severe. In fact, it usually takes me a couple of weeks to make the connection between irritated eyes and the blush of color on the Alders. My reaction to Doug Fir is a little more radical. Standing at the end of my carport, Big Doug powders my car with yellow dust which then works its way into the air recirculating system. A trip to town will have me scratching at my face and sneezing unless I remember to drive with the windows open for the first few miles. A few weeks of taking a mild antihistamine will get me through the spring season, and then I won't have another bout until the grasses bloom at the end of summer. For now, though, it's just Alder pollen in de air. No need to buy Kleenex stock just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment