Sunday, March 16, 2014

Morning At Tucker's Ford


Day 165: There's something foot traffic should remember about Nicholson Horse Trails, and that's the middle word of the name. Although the trails are often rough and dotted with "road apples" in the summer months, at this time of year, you risk sliding and sinking in deep mud if the equestrians have been about. Last week when I walked Lower Elk Spur, I was able to dodge puddles fairly easily. Today, travel was downright hazardous, especially on the steeper sections due to a combination of rain and recent horse usage. That said, I'd got it in my craw to go up to Tucker's Ford. By the time I got home, I was caked to mid-thigh with the greasy, clayey type of mud all hikers dread. To my credit, I managed to stay upright, something I can't claim for all prior trips, but I found myself saying, "I hate horses" time and again; an unfair assertion in light of the fact that I was using trails set aside specifically for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment