Saturday, May 10, 2014

From A Distant Shore


Day 220: How it is that she sailed 7000 miles unmanned shall forever be a mystery, yet sail it she did, and docked safely today to offload a cargo of precious chocolate upon a foreign shore. I was not totally unprepared for her arrival, although I had no idea as to the nature of the "surprise" I had been told to await from New Zealand, but I had rather forgotten that a parcel was en route.

For this gift, I have my friend Rob to thank, the same "Robin Penn" who entered Captain Morgan Corbye's history on November 11, 2013 with the "thump-thump" of his wooden leg announcing his arrival on the dock; Rob who, after losing his leg in a real-life accident applied for inclusion in the good Captain's crew. Morgan Corbye does not turn a good man away, and Rob had proved his mettle. We've never met in person and perhaps never will, but the distance between us is shortened through technology, allowing us the privilege of a friendship which spans the sea.

As ship's bursar and former bos'un, Robin Penn is a close confidante to Capt. Corbye and a trusted associate. His staunch good spirits and sound work ethic make him a highly respected member of the crew. His wry sense of humour would brighten the stormiest of days and smooth the roughest and most tempestuous of waters. 'Tis me 'onour t' know ye, lad, s'trewth!

No comments:

Post a Comment