Monday, May 12, 2014

Paddle Caching


Day 222: Despite the fact that I've pretty much given up geocaching, I do like to go out for "paddle caches," the ones you can't find unless you have some type of water craft. I've found several you couldn't access with a rowboat, and even more that you couldn't reach in a power boat. Lilypads, matted aquatic plants, submerged stumps and logs are just a few of the hazards you may encounter. A kayak is ideal for getting into tight spaces...and back out again. Don't forget that part! It's pretty important!

While most geocachers will tell you that their least favorite thing is "micros in the woods," a micro-cache such as this thumb-sized bison tube hanging over the water doesn't create the same potential for environmental destruction that the same container hidden in a mossy glen would invite. Camouflage is effective even when the trees are bare of leaves. Even if the stated coordinates are spot-on, this type of hide can be devilishly difficult to spot. As a matter of fact, this one nearly hit me on the head before it caught my eye.

Sometimes paddle caches are hidden on islands, as was one of the ones I found today. Typical in every other respect, an "island" hide nevertheless earns the cacher five stars for terrain by virtue of needing special equipment (i.e., a boat) to reach it. Some may even be below the surface of the water, anchored and equipped with a cord for retrieval.

I went out for three paddle caches today. I could have found all three without travelling more than two miles, but since caching is simply a bonus above and beyond kayaking in my book, I put in eight miles, explored the full extent of shoreline on two lakes and caught five fish. Now that's a rewarding day!

No comments:

Post a Comment