Monday, June 30, 2014

Preparing To Bloom



Day 273: After finding three "paddle caches" on two other lakes (Offut and Ward) with my geocaching partner, we went our separate ways and I wound up at Lake St. Clair. It was quite windy, so I decided I'd fish my way to the end of Sundew Arm and stop by to visit my little carnivorous friends on the way back. It was a bit calmer in the shelter of the Arm, so I played with fish for a while, including dropping one in my lap again when it snapped the line and flipped into the boat with the lure still in its mouth. Chasing a flopping armed fish around the inside of a kayak is quite an experience, similar perhaps to having a weasel dropped down inside your trousers. A rescue was effected, and the hapless fish swam away hastily when I put it back in the water.

Departing the Arm, I discovered that Sundew Island had again shifted position. Although still in the same general location and with all its logs chained together, it seems to be working its way along another log toward open water. It will be interesting to see if it progresses north or south when it has freedom to float on the whim of the wind. But another surprise also awaited me: the Red Colony has put up a flower spike! I will be watching it closely over the next month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment