Thursday, July 24, 2014

All In A Day's Caching


Day 297: When I found myself with more time on my hands than expected today, I started the process of sorting out options to fill it. Topping the list was a new and very innovative cache I'd heard about through a friend's Facebook post, but it was a rather long drive to make for just one find. Second on the list was a paddle cache which published several days ago, but due to weather, had not yet been found. It was even farther from home, and northwest of the other one by about an hour. I did the only reasonable thing: decided I didn't care what time I got home, and went after both of them.

The closer I got to Olympia, the stronger the wind became. When I arrived at the target lake, I asked myself quite seriously, "Do I really want to do this?" Halfway across and where it was already too late, I said, "Y'know, maybe this wasn't the best idea." Struggling for every inch, I made it to the far shore where I expected the wave action might be less. Instead, I found the water lapping at docks and splashing high onto the shore. I'd already made it that far, though, and the kayak was proving its stability magnificently, so I kept at it and a mile or so further on, I had the cache in hand. The trip back was even rougher, with whitecaps breaking over the bow as I plowed into them. It was like riding a roller-coaster, and any pause in paddling, however brief, let the wind turn the 'yak. I was very glad when I finally made port!

The second cache lived up to my expectations and then some. Yes, the external cache container is a whole, entire Porta-Potty! There are multiple steps each finder must follow in order to gain access to the official log book, and I won't give away any secrets here. Suffice to say that there are more electronic gizmos in this Johnny than most people have in their entertainment centers! The cache developer had arranged for permission to place his creation at a hardware/garden center, so after thanking the property owners for allowing it, I purchased two landscaping plants for my yard.

In all, I put close to 150 miles on the car in pursuit of these two caches, but I'd rather do that and get this type of quality than rack up a series of 25 micros placed every 528' in guardrails and at the bases of signs. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what geocaching SHOULD be!

No comments:

Post a Comment