Thursday, July 17, 2014

Lucifer's Fire


Day 290: Well-meaning friends have advised me that Crocosmia "Lucifer" will take over the corner of the flower bed it occupies. I say, "Let it!" The hummingbirds love the brilliant red flowers. The corner in question is where the bed on the north side of the house meets the bed on the east side. It was formerly occupied by a bristly, unfriendly Picea glauca whose roots threatened the house foundation. Picea was replaced first with a yellow Camellia which was too tender to survive mountain winters. Although I'd originally wanted to put something evergreen in its place, I also wanted to add to my hummingbird garden. Practicality (attracting hummers) won out over functionality (winter foliage). Gotta do what's best for the birdies!

No comments:

Post a Comment