Monday, August 4, 2014

Spiny-Ray Day


Day 308: Today, ladies and gentlemen, my goal was to find out if the south end of Lake Kapowsin was as fishy as I've always suspected it would be. The fact that I had to get there by kayak made it even better, although Kapowsin is known for its multitudinous "mines," stumps which hide under mere inches of dark water, making the lake difficult to navigate even under paddle power. I got stuck once, briefly, and grazed several others. That said, fortune favours the bold, and when I reached the weedy shallows and lily pads, a few trial casts brought this nice-sized bluegill to the hook. It turned out to be the biggest of nine "sunfish" (that's what we called them when I was a kid). As a bonus, the lake served up an additional two perch, four smallmouth bass and one largemouth. It was a Spiny-Ray Day for sure, with a seven-mile paddle thrown in. Now that's the kind of day you can say getting out of bed was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment