Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sundew Sentinel


Day 307: Far less aggressive now than they were during nesting season, the Canada Geese are still a hazard to be respected. As I approached Sundew Island yesterday, I noticed a dozen or more lined up along a floating log, just a body-width apart from one another. I navigated around them cautiously, only to find another six in position on a second log parallel to the first and about 30 feet away. They didn't seem particularly concerned by my approach, but I still proceeded slowly and cautiously into tight quarters to check on the Sundews. The last thing I wanted was to be mobbed by the flock! One by one, they went back to their various occupations: preening, stretching, or tucking a head in under a wing for a nap. I went about my business unmolested, I think much to the disappointment of two people who were watching from shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment