Sunday, October 12, 2014

Forest Gold


Makeup Day 12: I knew it was going to be a good day when one of my Park colleagues invited me over to her house for a breakfast of chanterelles fried up with egg and served on toast. As if I needed additional persuasion, she threw in the option of lattes as extra enticement, and then suggested that afterwards, she'd introduce me to her favourite mushroom-picking spot. How could I possibly decline?

Breakfast was delicious, just a touch of garlic added to the mushrooms as they seethed in a lightly oiled pan, the egg stirred in at the last minute to bind them together. Then, with caffeine coursing through our veins, we headed into the woods with bags and knives in hand. Several hours later we returned with a burden of forest gold, more than I've picked in the last three or four years combined. Back at the house again, a second round of lattes carried us into an afternoon of pleasant conversation. Thank you so much, Karen, for a very enjoyable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment