Monday, October 13, 2014

Hovering On Winter's Edge



Makeup Day (last one!) 13: Today, I discovered a rather unusual visitor in my garden: a hoverfly, aka "tiger fly." Normally something I associate with the high country and its dual attractors of Sitka Valerian and Rosy Spiraea, this wayward critter nevertheless exhibited the species' fondness for pink, and spent quite some time engaged in exploring all the nooks and crannies of a floppy Shirley poppy. Was he driven here by a falling barometer, or blown off course by the rising winds? In any event, I hope he finds a safe place to spend the night for despite his resemblance to something which might give you a nasty sting, Hoverfly is an innocent being and a vital pollinator.

With this entry, we conclude four calendar years of 365 Caws. I got a bit off in my numbering, hence the "makeup days" to bring this blog back to its starting date of October 14. Seasons willing and "the creek don't rise," I hope I may continue to entertain my readers with at least another year of essays, photos and ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment