Saturday, December 6, 2014

Giving Credit Where It's Due


Day 54: I cannot take full credit for this piece of surrealist art, only for rendering it in three dimensions. The concept originated with my mother, and was executed as a pen-and-ink sketch which she presented to my grandmother with a book of original poetry on Mother's Day 1945. I believe she may have drawn her inspiration from a greater mind, that of Salvador Dali. In any event, the idea has gone through so many permutations that I feel no shame in claiming this as "mine," since it is said that in art, there are no new ideas, only new ways to represent the same old things.

Surrealist art is meant to jolt the mind by presenting things out of context, nonsequiturs to the natural state of their existence. It is often laced with hidden references and meanings, but not always. Sometimes, as here, it is simply a mental meandering down a convoluted path through hyperreality, art for Art's sake, without agenda.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Truly. I hope you will consider entering the pic in a contest. Well done.

    ReplyDelete