Saturday, February 21, 2015

Hooded Merganser, Lophodytes Cucullatus



Day 131: The Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) is in my opinion one of the prettiest of western Washington's "ducks." Although not quite as showy as the Wood Duck, it is more common, and the male's fan-shaped white head marking definitely sets it apart from other species. I spent some time at the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge yesterday trying to get a good photo of this bird which seemed determined to prove its reputation as a diver. Just as I would get the camera trained on my subject, down he'd go, staying submerged for a minute or longer and popping back up to the surface some distance from where I'd seen him go under. As the diving interludes continued, Mr. Hoody kept moving farther north, so I outfoxed him. I moved ahead on the boardwalk until I was well beyond him and then waited for him to come to me. However, like most waterfowl, he was alert for unnatural flashes of light and never did come very close to my lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment