Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pink Polypores



Day 132: There are times when I wish I knew more about two subjects: bryology and mycology (or as you might put it, "mosses and mushrooms"). However, when I spotted this pretty pink polypore in Pack Forest today, I figured I wouldn't have too many options when it came to keying it out in a field guide. I narrowed it down to two, Fomitopsis cajanderi and F. rosea. F. cajanderi is more common in the Pacific Northwest and prefers Douglas Fir as its host and therefore it is what I suspect, but without chemical and microscopic analysis, I must list it simply as "Fomitopsis sp."

Another question arises with this discovery, and if I knew the answer, it might settle the issue of which Fomitopsis this is. As you know, lichens are a symbiosis of fungus and algae. Many (perhaps most, maybe even all) lichens develop from one specific fungus and one specific alga. There could be a relationship between this Fomitopsis and the lichen growing alongside it (the operative word in this sentence is "could" - I won't guarantee it). Ah, if only I had better resources (if, in fact, any exist).

If I had my life to live over, I would devote it to the study of lichens, and that's the truth. You would find me taking samples, analyzing them microscopically, testing them with reagents and carefully documenting my field observations, noting anything and everything which might give me a toehold in their fascinating biology. As a sidebar, I would undoubtedly learn more about fungi as well, and who knows? Given a few more Fomitopsis, I might even learn to like pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment