Thursday, February 19, 2015

Making More Pussywillows


Day 129: The scarcity of wild pussywillows upsets me, so I am taking measures to ensure that I am never without this delightful tree and its old-fashioned charm. The bush I started from a slip a decade ago now stands about ten feet tall, its topmost branches being the best bearers of catkins. The lower branches are rather sparsely endowed, so it was those from which I cut slips to put in water. Pussywillows root readily, and as you can see, mine are anxious to take their places in my yard. I will pot them later in the season, and will leave them there for a year or two while they establish strong root systems. Then I'll plant them in strategic spots where they will prosper in good light. You can never have too many pussywillows!

No comments:

Post a Comment