Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Old Treasures


Day 128: I have very little memorabilia from my mother's side of the family, none at all from my father's side save for his military records and medals and a small handful of personal items, but those few things I do have are precious to me. The larger kitty you see here came across the Plains on my great-grandmother's lap, held to protect it from the jouncing of a buckboard, or so the family story goes. The black kitten was my grandfather's, of a somewhat later manufacture than the gold cat, but identically posed. The Double Wedding Ring quilt was a wedding gift to my parents, hand-stitched by my maternal great-grandma, its pieces cut from the calico flour sacks of the era. Both the quilt and the pillow are stained and worn, and the gold kitty has many scars and scratches, but in no way does that diminish their value in my heart. Sentimental? I'm not ashamed to admit to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment