Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hattie In Flower


Day 195: Hatiora rosea is not too often seen in houseplant collections, and it is not the easiest plant to bring into flower. Also known as "Easter Cactus," it blooms once a year. I've had mine for over forty years, and for the first decade, it refused to flower. It was consigned to the purdah of my attic sewing room where it was allowed to go dry for long intervals when I forgot about it, and there it experienced cooler temperatures than it had in a south-facing kitchen window. One day as I was looking for materials for a project, I noticed a solitary, one-inch shell-pink bloom, and therein learned Hattie's secret: a preference for cool nights in winter. I have brought this delicate cactus into flower every year since.

The intensity of color varies depending on sun exposure. The plant again resides in a south window for most of the year, and thus the color of the flower is substantially stronger. Its only admittance to the warmer part of the house is during the blooming period, featured before any guests who may drop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment