Friday, November 13, 2015

Invisible Scouting


Day 31: Yes, today was a momentous day. Today, I completed the requirements for my Invisible Scout badge. I cannot divulge what tasks were required of me because above and beyond all others (even Eternal Scouts), Invisible Scouts are sworn to deepest secrecy. However, it is safe to say that I did not have to enter the forbidden Dog Park to retrieve the intern who played a role in this history; in fact, the intern returned undaunted and unscathed from the mission on which I had dispatched him, making me wonder if in fact he did attempt to find the secret entrance to the Dog Park's dismal spider-infested sublevels. His recounting of the event was somewhat unclear, as if perhaps his memories had been altered.

No, dear readers, I am not capitalizing on the popularity of "Welcome to Night Vale" by writing a spin-off episode. I am acknowledging Ian, who is truly an intern with the Volunteer Program in the Park (Mount Rainier, not Dog Park) and got me started on Night Vale some months ago when I asked him what he knew about podcasts (then terra incognita to me). He suggested it, and I surprised myself by enjoying it but shied away from the associated merchandising except to purchase the novel of the same name, although the Invisible Scout badge was something I coveted. I had mentioned it in casual conversation to Ian, not expecting that he'd purchase it for me in exchange for completing a small favour for him. It came in an envelope marked, "Open last! I trust you." I did as I was told, savouring the surprise, and finished my work first. When I felt the round shape inside, I was sure I knew what it was. Thank you, Ian! See ya later, although you may not see me. I'm an Invisible Scout!

No comments:

Post a Comment