Saturday, December 26, 2015

Lego My Doctor!



Day 74: I am not one to endorse products ordinarily, but I cannot recall ever having been so favourably impressed with the quality of an item as I am with Legos. I bought the "Doctor Who" set after seeing it at at friend's (still in the box), although I did so with some reservation because it looked rather complicated for someone who had no prior experience with the brand. I grew up with wooden TinkerToys and in those days, Legos were not much more than bricks with bumps. Modern Legos are infinitely more complex, with tiny pieces which take the craft into a realm not too unlike model ship building. I'd fiddled with a handful of pieces from the huge bins maintained by Kevin's two sons, but quickly became frustrated when I couldn't put them together to make anything recognizable. I didn't realize you needed a blueprint. However, when you purchase a kit such as this, Lego comes through with the most thorough and clear assembly instructions I have ever seen, and does so without the need of language. The manual for this kit is a book, literally. The illustrations are large and are from perspectives which utterly annihilate any possibility of confusion. I've been taking my time this morning, but at this point, I have the TARDIS about a third of the way completed, and am finding that I am greatly enjoying the building process. Move over, jigsaw puzzles! I think I've found a new sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment