Wednesday, December 23, 2015

December Blues



Day 71: If you were born in the month of December, you are more fortunate than most when it comes to a selection of birthstones. There are three choices: blue zircon (if your taste runs to faceted stones), turquoise (for a more earthy look) and the classic elegance of lapis lazuli.

I bring this up because a friend just asked me if I could verify that a piece she owns is in fact lapis. I have not seen it yet, but I did advise her that there are a number of imitators (most notably, dyed howlite), but all lack the telltale flecks of pyrite which distinguish much true lapis. Lapis aficionados will argue whether or not pyrite is desirable and to my way of thinking, it's a matter of personal preference. I like it. On the other hand, the stonecutter is more likely to say that good lapis excludes pyrite because it makes it more difficult to grind and polish due to undercutting of the softer material.

I sold my rockhounding gear years ago after deciding that creating cabochons such as these was not worth the hours spent with wet, cold hands, but I kept much of my more valuable rough including a stash of genuine lapis. In any event, I seldom wear jewelry and get more pleasure from seeing the raw minerals in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment