Thursday, January 28, 2016

Snowdrops For The Taking


Day 107: The invitation offered by side trails cannot be refused by anyone who loves exploring. Something drew animals or humans to create them, and my inquisitive nature will not let me pass them by. Thus it was that last year during the Park's fitness challenge I discovered a patch of snowdrops, discarded from someone's garden and gone native in a shaded niche off the main walking path. At the time, I told myself I should return, trowel in hand, but for one reason or another, the job went undone, although not forgotten. Yesterday, I went prepared. The buds were just starting to open and therefore I could expect a good margin of survival, but success depended upon being able to reach the bulbs. Rooted among rocks, they were difficult to extract, but I managed to "lift" a dozen or so, a mere dip from the well of hundreds, and planted them in my front flower bed as soon as I got home. If they fail...well, I know where to get more!

No comments:

Post a Comment