Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Cardamine Nuttallii, Bittercress


Day 147: Poor little Cardamine! Every year when I find it, I say to myself, "Uh-oh, I've forgotten what that is again." I then proceed to go through the alphabet mentally, "A, B, C...okay, it has a C in it..." but I don't pick up the cue until I get to "N...it has an N...Na, Ne, Ni, No, Nu...Nub, Nuc, Nud..." until at last I come to "Nut! Nuttallii! Cardamine nuttallii!" I retrieve other "lost words" in similar fashion with great success, although why I don't get it when I say "Ca..." is a mystery.

This photo was also taken during the Great Skunk Cabbage Expedition, although in a different location and before the rain began in earnest. I got a little muddy on a short hike through the Cowlitz Wildlife lands near Mossyrock Dam, but in addition to the Cardamine, I found the most lavish example of Graphis scripta hieroglyphics I've encountered to date, but that's for my next post. Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode of "Life In Lichenopolis."

No comments:

Post a Comment