Monday, March 7, 2016

Down In The Swamp


Day 146:  In need of something to occupy my thoughts and energies, I went out searching for subject matter to honour the First Day of Skunk Cabbage, and found it behind Swofford Pond. Never mind that the weather was a bit inclement; I had Purpose, and that is not to be denied. There I was, in my knee-high muck boots midway across the bog setting up the tripod when the cloudburst arrived. It had been a tricky crossing, swamps being what they are, filled with spots which look like solid ground but aren't, so a hasty retreat to the cover of a large cedar tree a hundred feet away was not an option. Hoping that the squall would pass, I shielded the lens with my hands and continued my work. The rain pounded down, but at last I was satisfied that I'd gotten a good angle on Uncle Skunk and made my way back across mossy logs and islands of bunched sticks, stepping gingerly as I assessed my footing. The potential for mishap was high, but none occurred, and predictably, just as I reached the shelter of the car, the canopy of cloud opened to reveal blue sky. Such is the work of a naturalist, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment