Friday, March 25, 2016

Getting Down And Dirty


Day 164: It's time to get down and dirty at my house! I darted out between rain showers today to add two juniper tams ("Furzee") and one more pink heather to the new bed, an extension of the barked area beside my driveway of almost 100%. As soon as they become available, I'll pick out one more hardy fuchsia to keep the hummingbirds happy, and I may add another Lithodora for colour.

Planted last year, Lithodora "Grace Ward" held a few of its intensely blue flowers all winter long, something which recommends it highly. It's not easy to find colour in winter, and the bright blue eyes of this mounding groundcover are a cheering sight on a chilly day. The evergreen leaves are reminiscent of rosemary, though much more closely packed and slightly furry. In summer, it becomes a mat of brilliant blue as it puts on new growth. I was happy to see that it took readily to living in one of the colder corners of Zone 7, and even if I don't install another plant in the new bed, there are several other spots in my yard where it would be quite content.

No comments:

Post a Comment