Saturday, March 26, 2016

Hopping Down The Yelm-Tenino Trail



Day 165: "Here comes Mister Froggy-tail, Hopping down the Yelm-Tenino Trail..." Well, with a little license taken as to his activity and position (he was sitting on a log in a swamp beside the trail), he was nonetheless a cheerful sight. I'd wound up in Yelm despite my best-laid plans and was making the best of a bad thing with a seven-mile walk. Why seven miles? One, because I didn't get started until 1:30 and two, because that distance took me to the place where I was most likely to find froggy models. In fact, I found two. The other was dark brown in colour, presumably because it was newly emerged from winter protection. These frogs' colouration is highly variable depending on the amount of light falling on specialized photo-receptor cells in their skin. Unlike chamaeleons, the change in frogs takes place over weeks instead of minutes. (Pacific Chorus Frog, Pseudacris regilla)

No comments:

Post a Comment