Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Mum's The Word


Day 322: Every year when autumn's early hints put a blush on the vine maples and a suggestion of coolness in the morning air, I buy a chrysanthemum for my garden. I lean rather heavily toward the dark red/maroon end of the spectrum as a general rule, but since my rich purple one wintered over in the strawberry jar and has been a mass of blooms all summer, I decided to go with orange. I didn't get just one. I got three. Okay, they were small (4" pots) and inexpensive, so I figured I could splurge. I bedded them in a windowbox-style planter which had formerly held nasturtiums, and positioned it on the step outside my kitchen door. The colour is so festive, and mums are easy-care plants which will reward you even through light frosts. I'm not ready to give up on summer yet, but oh, cooler afternoons are very welcome after our last interval of hot days!

No comments:

Post a Comment