Monday, August 29, 2016

Doubly Adorable


Day 321: Once again, this image falls into the category of "not a field guide shot" photos because only one of the subjects is in focus, but the "cuteness factor" inclined me to keep it. I had gone to this site specifically to check on the status of the pool and the vegetation surrounding it. for reasons entirely unrelated to its potential for frogginess, and discovered it to be populated with dozens of thumbnail-sized froglets whose species I could not determine without disruption. Many still carried stubs of polliwog-tails and had not taken on full adult colouration. Surprisingly, many of these froglets survive the winter by burrowing into the mud up to twelve inches where they hibernate until spring thaw. Frogs aside, the information I obtained regarding the area only served to add another layer of opacity to a greater mystery. Such is the way of science, whether in the lab or in the field.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read Reading the Landscape of America by May Theilgaard Watts? You remind me of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, but after reading the description, I will have to remedy that omission. Thank you for the tip!

      Delete