Sunday, August 28, 2016

Skipper Spotlight


Day 320: A few days ago, I was fiddling around with post-processing effects in response to a photo challenge, starting with a base image which otherwise might never have seen the light of day. Oh, I got the Woodland Skipper in focus, but without capturing any major field markings or characteristics, automatically excluding it from anything I'd use for a "field guide" shot. The background was bland and to my eye, the lavender seemed to be intrusive, and the highlights on the insect's body were too bright. In other words, the image only marginally escaped being thrown in the trash. When I remembered that I was one image short of completing the photo challenge, I decided to see if I could gussy it up a bit.

First of all, I added a feathered blur filter leaving only the Skipper and a bit of lavender in focus. Lens flare provided some colour for the corners and a rule-of-thirds glow, and a "sunlight" filter warmed the image overall. I diminished the highlights and deepened the midtones as a final touch to bring Mr. Skipper out of anonymity and into the spotlight. Still not a "field guide" shot, but even in my world, sometimes it's not always about science.

No comments:

Post a Comment