Tuesday, October 25, 2016

End-of-Season Report


Day 12: It's the time of the year when we're working on writing those end-of-season reports, and the statistics from my garden are in. I am happy to announce that with one exception, everything I planted last spring and summer has survived and appears to be sufficiently established to weather the winter. The one fatality was a maidenhair fern which was rather feeble at the time of purchase. The second one is doing fine.

This mum wintered over from 2015 in the strawberry jar despite numerous hard freezes. While it's not the first mum I've had return from the dead the following year, it happens infrequently enough to be notable. It provided me with colour throughout the summer, bushing out over the sedums which otherwise fill the planter. It will be interesting to see if I get a third year from it. For a buck and a half, that can't be beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment