Saturday, October 8, 2016

To Eat Or Not To Eat


Day 361: Hypomyces lactifluorum ("Lobster mushroom") shown on the right is a parasitic fungus which occurs on various species of Russula (left) and Lactarius, forming an overgrowth of vivid orange often even before the host species emerges from the soil. It is reputedly edible, but since some of the hosts may cause gastric upset, I have always been reluctant to try it. This philosophy of "better safe than sorry" was confirmed when I asked a Parkie friend if she ate it. "Not any more," she told me and added "I think I've developed a sensitivity to it," patting her tummy by way of elaboration. Other consumers have reported that not all "Lobsters" taste alike. Some are good, but others leave a distinctly fishy and unpleasant aftertaste. That said, the woods are full of Lobsters right now, and that's where I plan to leave them.

No comments:

Post a Comment