Thursday, December 1, 2016

Cladonia Gracilis, Smooth Cladonia


Day 49: Although at least two other Cladonia species are making cameo appearances in this image, the star of the show is Cladonia gracilis ssp., Smooth Cladonia. The unbroken cortex ("skin") of the podetia is particularly diagnostic when attempting to separate this lichen from similar species in the field. The branched habit and specimen location strongly suggest subspecies turbinata, but I am reluctant to commit to that because no tests for lichen substances were performed. Had I remembered before 24 hours had elapsed that I had dropped an unprotected specimen in the pocket of my field bag, I might have been able to be more specific.

All right, I heard that. Which one of you laughed at the absent-minded professor?

No comments:

Post a Comment